Friday, June 3, 2011

SmackDown Sum-up 6/3/11


SmackDown is consistently better than RAW in the eyes of THIS reviewer (which, seeing as I have to wear contact lenses, are very poor). However, this week's RAW was actually exceptional, so what did Friday night's show come back with?

Let's hit the recap!
  • Christian vs. Mark Henry: After a brief summation of what's been happening with Christian in recent weeks, SmackDown opens right up with a match. It's not horribly long, and I'm not a huge Henry fan, but he's utilized well here. Christian has to chop him down and eventually gets the victory. The next segment has Christian demanding a title shot, only to be shot down by Teddy Long. Then, for some reason... Teddy names Christian as special referee for the Sheamus/Orton main event? I don't see the logic there, but without it, we get no BIG TWIST at the end of the show. Overall, an effective, if not average opening segment.

  • What Just Happened?: Out of nowhere, we get a Diva tag match with... some Divas I don't recognize. Honestly, I don't know who over half of the Divas actually competing were (Natalya's team). Even worse, just as I was getting used to each Divas style and actually getting slightly into the match, it ends. Thanks again, WWE, for these pointless segments.

  • Oh Cody. You so crazy: Cody Rhodes comes out and cuts a wicked promo. I like the build up and animosity they're going for between him and Daniel Bryan, but sadly I can bet that the pay-off will still come out underdeveloped. Nevertheless, great segment that shows off just how good Cody has gotten on the mic. Definitely one of my favorite heels in the company.

  • Jinder Mahal vs. Yoshi Tatsu: Jinder Mahal actually gets some time in the ring. The match is a squash, with poor Yoshi Tatsu getting absolutely 0 offense in. This kinda upsets me as, yes, I understand it's meant to make Mahal look powerful, but instead it makes Tatsu look weak. This is because Mahal doesn't pull off anything really impressive. A necessary evil, but brings the show down nonetheless.

  • Ezekiel Jackson vs. Wade Barrett: I was surprised to see this match-up, let alone this match-up for the belt. I figured the Corre would have some way of making sure Barrett walked away as champion. Sure enough, they do after a brief match that has Jackson dominating. I think they have the potential of over-hyping Zeke and making him a new Batista (or worse), but he's got a good intensity AND charisma that makes him fun to watch. I don't think he should be man-handling the Corre each week, but I wouldn't be opposed to them sticking the IC belt on him.

  • Daniel Bryan vs. Ted DiBiase Jr.: Match of the night! It's been a while since we've really seen DiBiase's in-ring ability stretched, but him and Bryan put on an awesome match. Tons of false climaxes, back and forth action, stiff striking, big spots. This match had it all. Rhodes attacks Bryan after he beats DiBiase, but who should run to American Dragon's aid than Sin Cara. That was a nice surprise, and the promise of the two tagging together is a really intriguing prospect.

  • Randy Orton vs. Sheamus: Pretty standard main event. Sadly, Randy DOES resemble John Cena a bit too much nowadays, as he'll get beat up a majority of the match and then have a miracle comeback, but this match was solid enough. Some good back and forth, and I'm becoming a bigger and bigger Sheamus fan the more I see him work. I nearly forgot Christian was reffing the match, his presence was that small until the finish. Orton picks up the victory and then SURPRISE, Christian makes his big heel turn. He brains Orton with his own belt, and walks off with it as SmackDown ends.
Decent card with solid matches from top to bottom. However, I can't help but feel that, without the Bryan/DiBiase match, this SmackDown would be dangerously close to mediocre. It still easily gets 3 stars out of 5 in my book, but I hope next week's installment is a little stronger.

Until then, keep an eye out for more updates, and check out some of my stuff from earlier in the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment